Thread: NYU certificate in art mgmt + display (ART HANDLING TRAINING, CERTIFICATES, ETC)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NYU certificate in art mgmt + display (ART HANDLING TRAINING, CERTIFICATES, ETC)

Hello!

I am a new member to the board. I am interested in getting involved in the field of art handling and installation for museums or galleries but have little to no background experience. How does one get their foot in the door in a field like this?

One of the things I came across when doing research was NYU's School of Continuing Professional Studies, which offers a ton of non-credit certificates. One of them is a certificate in "Art Collections Management and Display" for the purpose of providing "students with the skills necessary to work as professionals in a field that is crucial to a broad range of art institutions and in roles such as registrar, exhibition designer, collections manager, art handler, and exhibition installer.

more info is here: http://www.scps.nyu.edu/content/scps...d-display.html

It includes courses that are, from what it seems, anywhere from 2-5 sessions long in topics ranging from object care, exhibition design, etc, as well as the opportunity for internships.

What are people's thoughts here about a program like this? Would something like this seems like a good idea for someone that wanted to receive professional training in art handling and hopefully gain some experience through internships? Would this be worth the time and money?

There is an info session next month on January 22, 2015 http://events.scps.nyu.edu/EventList...&type=&rss=rss
    I think I am going to plan to attend to get some more information, discuss opportunities for internships, what prospects are often like for people upon completion of the certificate, and just sort of feel things out.

Not sure where else to talk about this! Are there other forums like this? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Modal_Pieces; 12-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.