Thread: Trying to source some tools for moving/handling art, a skate and a unknown hand tool.

Trying to source some tools for moving/handling art, a skate and a unknown hand tool.

Does anyone have a source where they get these tools? Can anyone help?

(I'm not sure what the name of the tool in the first picture is, but it has been requested to put together furniture)

I also haven't been able to find a supplier that can sell us these or even the replacement rollers.

Attached Images Attached Images

Snap ring pliers at McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#snap-ring-pliers/=y70y5p. No idea about the rollers, though replacements should be available through a conveyor supplier.

What are the rollers off of? Are they from a pallet jack or other rolling stock? It also looks like you might be able to replace the bearings if you can get it apart. Is it bigger hammer time?

Good luck.

PACCIN Advisory Committee Member T. Ashley McGrew's Avatar
    This is killing me! I have used those in just about ever job I've ever had (only usually they were a little bit wider) but it also something that I have never actually had to purchase. I think they are indestructible. This seems like a good question to shoot out to the list serve.
    T. Ashley McGrew
    PACCIN Advisory Committee member

Yeah, when I asked New Haven, they provide only a wider version of the one man mover (which technically still works for our uses, it's just handy to have a much smaller one for crates that are less wide) and they do not sell replacement skates.

http://webstore.newhaven-usa.com/pro...ER-4000-LB-CAP
    Last edited by Cookes Crating; 07-29-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Wanted to include a proper link

Now I get what you've got there. Very Nice. I still think repairing them might be the best route. Of you can drive the axle out, you should be able to drive the bearings out of the rollers and replace them with new ones. It might take an arbor press and some time, but then you'll have another 10 years out of them.

PACCIN Advisory Committee Member T. Ashley McGrew's Avatar
    You know I went up to the loading dock and looked at ours to check. Based on your picture the ends look different. On the top view, the end on the left looks like each of the "finished" outside ends of the skates that we have. Each skate has two pairs of rollers joined by a shared angle iron body. Could someone, back in the day, have cut a longer unit in half to end up with your mini units do you think?
    T. Ashley McGrew
    PACCIN Advisory Committee member