Hello! I am a bit new at this (crate building to museum standards). I work at a university gallery, and my boss has recently asked that I build crates for an exhibition of framed photographs by Ed Westcott. I'm a very comfortable woodworker, however, I'm not certain about the specific materials needed for the crate.

Specifically, what type of exterior grade plywood is commonly used, and at what thickness? These crates will be small-ish in size, at no more than 48"Lx25"Wx30"H. I don't want to overbuild, but I don't want to underbuild, either. He mentioned MDO . . . does the fiber coating provide any particular advantages over normal exterior grade plywood?

Part of my design issues have to do with creating a thick enough edge that some sort of threaded insert or tapped plate could be mounted into it. Then, the lid can be affixed with a bolt, instead of screws into wood (which seem to last about three uses, on the crates we get some shows in, before they strip out entirely).

I planned on coating the exterior of the crate in gloss polyurethane. Is it recommended that the interior be coated as well? Is poly the appropriate product, or will it offgas and damage work?

Finally, I have laid in a good stock of 1" and 2" thick ethafoam, which I planned to use as runners along the floor of the crate on which the photographs can ride, as well as on the lid, to secure them from the top.

I have also read of various weatherstripping/adhesive-backed foam products to be used as a moisture barrier where the lid attaches to the crate. Any types to avoid?

Thanks so much for your time! Any information you can provide is much appreciated!

Very best,

Benjamin Wooten