Thread: Exhibit Preparator / Mount Maker - Bishop Museum, Honolulu, Hawai‘i

Exhibit Preparator / Mount Maker - Bishop Museum, Honolulu, Hawai‘i

The Bishop Museum, the Hawai‘i state museum of cultural and natural history, is seeking an Exhibit Preparator / Mount Maker. The job is full time hourly and offers heath insurance benefits, vacation and holiday pay, 401K matching, flexible job schedule, and the possibility of travel within Hawai‘i and sometimes farther afield. Overtime may be requested in order to complete mounts for deadlines. Compensation commensurate with experience.

Apply: www.hrsymphony.com/hrs/apply/1184/N98N

Learn more: www.bishopmuseum.org/exhibit-prepartor-mountmaker/

Job Purpose

Prepare, install, and maintain exhibits, and design and fabricate mounts for artifacts.

Duties and Responsibilities

• Design and fabricate mounts for artifacts that reflect sound conservation practices, sensitivity to design aesthetics, and competence in varied mount-making techniques.
    • Provide general assistance in the design, preparation and installation of exhibits – including layouts, specifications, for exhibit components, fabrication of props, preparation of cases, mounting of display graphics, installation of display lighting, fabrication of customized display elements, and packing of crates – to further the objective of having exhibition open within budget and on-schedule.
    • Perform daily checks of Museum exhibition galleries in coordination with Exhibit Technicians to ensure that displays are operational, safe, and attractive
    • Fabricate artifact replicas that reflect high standards of accuracy and craftsmanship.
    • Provide welding and fabrication services to all museum departments.
    • Interact with colleagues and the public in a fully professional manner to strengthen the Museum’s internal and external relations.
    • Work in a safe manner in compliance with established safety rules, regulations, and laws.
    • Perform other duties as assigned.

Qualifications

• Some trade school beyond high school level.
    • At least two years of experience.
    • Demonstrated mastery of common shop tools and equipment
    • Experience with TIG and MIG welding.

Other Requirements

• Must be able to communicate verbally with co-workers, both in-person, via email, and over the phone.
    • Position involves writing short pieces, such as emails and instructions and reading primarily short items, with occasional longer pieces.
    • Visual requirements include good-to-excellent vision, depth perception, and wide field of vision.
    • Good Attendance
    • Detail oriented

Physical Requirements

Job can be physically demanding due to occasionally carrying or manipulating large, heavy objects. Job requires the use of welding, power, and hand tools which can be dangerous if not used safely.

The application window for this job has closed. Mahalo.