Thread: Hardware for 2-D in seismic zones

PACCIN Advisory Committee Member T. Ashley McGrew's Avatar

Hardware for 2-D in seismic zones

Here in seismic Southern California - both in storage and on display - objects must be secured in such a way that the hardware is held "captive".

One of the most common solutions is the use of "pear clips" which are just a variation of a carabineer. They come in different sizes which is handy. For larger pieces it can be easier to attach to a screen if more than one is used. They can be clipped together as needed.

on screen.jpg
    Secured on the screen...

pear clip on wall.jpg
    ...and the wall.
    T. Ashley McGrew
    PACCIN Advisory Committee member

Great idea!. I´m always curious about between the piece and the wall.

What kind of piece is that attached to the frame? is that adjustable in height?

PACCIN Advisory Committee Member T. Ashley McGrew's Avatar
    Yeah, that is the Getty's version which is the most functional one I have come across. They make them in three sizes and they consist of a solid block of aluminium that they machine in-house. Somewhere I have better images and will put them up (unless Kevin Marshall or Mike Mitchell beat me to it!)

Here are a couple of other versions as well.

adj install hrdwre sized.jpg

adj eye bolt_sized.jpg

Some folks may tend to say "Well if you know how to use a level then you don't need things like that". I would respond by saying. "Exactly what do you intend to "level" anyway?
    Many old world frames tend to be very irregular in their construction. "Level" is a highly subjective, aesthetic condition the reality of which can be greatly assisted by the tweekability of adjustable hardware!
    I would be curious to see other versions of this kind of hardware and where folks could purchase them.
    T. Ashley McGrew
    PACCIN Advisory Committee member