Thread: Preparator Job Description -- an on going battle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PACCIN Advisory Committee Member T. Ashley McGrew's Avatar
    I feel real sorry for any institution that hires someone who reflects the job description that you just shared. Of course I suppose anyone with so little insight into the museum profession deserves what they get - Preparators as manual labor, Registrars as just clerical help etc....
    I haven't worked for any museums like that but I know people who have. Their damage rates reflected in their approach too.

What is kind of funny though, is that when I worked for a University Museum in the Mountain Plains region the duties were insanely varied and extremely demanding - involving literally all aspects of object care. As a result I have been well prepared for other jobs both in museums and in the commercial sector. I guess it all just depends on the institution and the individuals there who make the decisions.
    T. Ashley McGrew
    PACCIN Advisory Committee member

I have worked in a museum where administrators thought it would save money if they used volunteers and docents to install shows. Needless to say that my pay as a preparator was pitiful and moral throughout the museum was extremely low. I now work at a museum that believes in staff development and recognizes the importance of working with a professional staff. It is a small institution and consequently I need to know many different skills but when you are appreciated you will rise to the task.

So, Stew...
    It's been nearly two years since you posted your "I get respect" entry. Howzit now?
    =P=