Thread: Question About Packing the Crate

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question About Packing the Crate

Hi, first post here, so forgive me if it is obvious. I am a painter and am building my first crate. This blog has been a great resource, and thanks for the tip on the #10 washer head wood thread screws. I read the post and was able to order some online here http://bit.ly/1abOGG6.
    I am shipping a 6' x 6' oil painting on canvas (stretched over a rigid support). I used 3" Polyethylene (from ULINE- marketed as Plank Foam) to cushion the painting but have a question on how to best protect the face of the paining from and damage during transit. I was going to put the painting in a plastic mattress cover (something I have done in the past, but am sure is not museum standard) and pad the center of the crate top with Polyethylene foam to keep the painting in place. However I am concerned that any vibration or small shifting during the transit could cause the Polyethylene to rub and scratch the surface of the painting. If anyone has any advise or even a photo of how to deal with the padding or treatment of a painting surface/crate top when building a crate it would be much appreciated. How can I best protect the surface of the painting yet still keep the paining in place.

Many Thanks.

Crate Back.jpgCrate Front.jpg
    Last edited by Corbfast; 06-14-2013 at 01:19 PM.