Thread: Modular pedestals

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Modular pedestals

I am posting this to get some feedback and/or advice. Attached are some photos of a prototype for a modular pedestal I am developing to replace my existing fleet. The principle is to have the vitrine and its deck removable from the base, so I can stack them on pallet racking and gain a little floor space. I want the legs to be interchangeable so I don't have to match a specific set to a specific top. The rails will determine the width, and will be standardized to 3 or 4 sizes. The rails attach to the legs via bed hardware, and the top slips in and can be connected with a couple of screws on the invisible side. It would also be pretty easy to make the deck a dessicant chamber, in case that was necessary. Fitting the wood frame to the vitrine is a little fiddly, but that's manageable. Please note, this is not the finished vitrine height! Would likely be 24" tall or better. This prototype seems really sturdy, and needs only a few tweaks.

The plan is to vary only the width of the case, so I can set the saws and run lengths of plywood in each dimension/angle, and mass produce a bunch of these. Does anyone have a different system that they have used that is easier/more efficient? I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images