The following question was just posted to the RCAAM Listserv and I am interested in the answer as well so I thought I would cross post it here. Looking around I found conflicting information about whether archival hot glue is needed for box making or not.

Jason

Here is the original post: On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Ashley Henderson wrote:

Hi Everyone, I am making custom trays and boxes for a project and am looking for a source for archival hot melt glue sticks. The trays will be used for long-term storage and the artifacts will not come into contact with the glue used in construction. Gaylord has discontinued their product. University Products carries the sticks but states that their $250 applicator gun is required for proper application. Has anyone used these sticks with a regular applicator gun from a craft store? I can't find a package of hot glue sticks at the store that lists ingredients. Does anyone know of a good source for hot glue sticks or if regular old hot glue sticks from the store pose a threat in long-term storage? Thanks for any suggestions! Ashley Henderson Collection Manager Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History www.ccmuseum.com (361) 826-4659