PDA

View Full Version : Hardware for mounting plexiglass flush to wall

Wendell Eckholm
09-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for hardware which is both strong and aesthetically pleasing to mount a large piece of 1/4" plexiglass (approx. 72 x 96) flush to the wall?

Thanks for all suggestions --

Gallagher
09-13-2011, 02:16 AM
My first thought would be mirror clips which would be painted to match the wall color, or simple screws through holes in the plexi if possible; again, one would need to paint them out.

Rick
08-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I've had success using "tenter" hooks (or "tenterhooks") to install 1/4 plexi, flat to the wall. I've found it to work in both drywall/gypsum board as well as some kinds of masonry. I have not used them in plywood, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't work for that, as well.

The ones I've used seem to be made from brass, about a 16th inch in thickness. One thing I like about them is they tend to present a low profile when standing directly in front of the install.

Here's a link to one supplier: http://www.fabricfarms.com/WR67.html

tom@okeeffe.com
08-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Most Mirror hanging hardware should work.
Below is a good example
http://www.amazon.com/CRL-E-Z-Mount-Mirror-Clip/dp/B000KZV77U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1345919246&sr=8-7&keywords=mirror+hanging+hardware

Tom
Withey & Co
Los Angeles

T. Ashley McGrew
08-25-2012, 11:59 AM
I like this style of spring-loaded clip also.
Below is a low visibility version.

This is what you see.

The top clips (can also be used on one side) have the "hook" portion of the clip held in place with a strong spring.

With the "body" of the clip secured to the wall the "hook" part can be raised almost twice as high as the height of the surface that holds the material in place. The shiny part in this blurry picture is normally covered when the tension is released so this shows how much clearance it gives you.

The base "fixed" clip is more basic. Note that these normally come with a cork ring to mitigate vibration. In the case of artwork versus mirrors you would might want to replace it with volara or something and you might had something thinner on the inside of the "hook" component to prevent scratching the surface of the plex.

Cheers!

hnoor0044
03-08-2016, 10:40 AM
I've found it to work in both drywall/gypsum board as well as some kinds of masonry.

jwilliams
03-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the link. I lost track of a supplier for these hooks. Very useful for small, flat items!