Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storage for old art shipping crates

PACCIN Advisory Committee Member T. Ashley McGrew's Avatar
    Richard,
    Just to clarify - an inner container is not what I meant to describe - instead just a panel for each side with foam attached. So when removed you have a set of panels that can just be stacked and take up a fraction of the amount of space.... For single painting crates you shouldn't need 100 crates. You could keep ones in about 10" to 12" increments. For single paintings anyway you could reduce that number that you keep and still save the investment that you have those few.
    If you think about it, it does really seem a bit nuts to have to make individual crates for paintings that will be traveling at different times and are only 3 or 4 inches different in size.
    I know that is the tradition but I think we are all examining that about now. As long-time exhibition crater there is nothing I have hated more over the years than rehabing old crates, but much of that has to do with the traditional way that interiors were done. Having to scrape out old pads and and such could take forever and was very frustrating.
    If stripping the crate just means spending five minutes removing a handful of waferhead screws it kind of puts a different spin on things.
    Of course that notion doesn't help you at all with the 100 crates that you already have with traditional interiors that you already have!

I know that your delimma is very common. There is always talk about crate creating co-ops which could maybe work in a museum-dense environment like DC or New York but is harder in the rest of the world.

PACCIN Advisory Committee Member T. Ashley McGrew's Avatar
    Paul,
    Maybe we are being too hasty here.
    Richard how about selling "genuine Houston MFA" art-crate-furniture out of the museum shop?
    I see book cases.....
    You could include its provenience in terms of a photo of it with artwork inside. Something like "If you can't buy the Art you can at least buy the crate".
    What do you think? No?
    Ok whatever

You see, this is the kind of creativity I'm looking for. Not a bad idea though. Part of the problem I have is that I don't have a shop for building crates, or furniture out of crates. Any crates I build are strickly for storage purposes and are hammered and sawed on a loading dock somewhere. All of our shipping crates are ordered from local vendors which makes them expensive and makes throwing them away more difficult.

Thanks for all usefull information.. Hope to have a painting soon,.

You could also consider https://artystransit.ca/en/museum/crating as a viable alternative for art shipment.