Quote Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Hi Mark,
I ran across your design and wondered how the walls are working out for you? I'm predicting I will be fabricating some in the near future, and was curious as to your experience.
Thanks so much,
Sheri
Hi Sheri. Still waiting for the panel saw so I can get to work on the prototype! Which is fine because I keep getting great feedback here everyday, so it can wait another day or two. I'll keep you all posted!

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
New info! Do NOT caulk the seams! I just had to remove these as a last-minute change, and the caulk made it extra tough. If I do that again I'll embed a string or wire in the caulk to easily part that bead. Ugh! Always learning the hard way!

Bed rail hardware is a set of interlocking plates, one with hooks, one with slots, that slip together and lock with gravity. That part of the design works pretty well. Also, I skinned my walls with 3/8" "Superply" which gave a pretty good painting surface and is very lightweight. Holds a nail well enough for light stuff, but I'd use screws for heavier stuff. In my world the walls are mostly backdrop, I don't hang a lot of work.

Cheers!

Jim
Jim, I looked bed rail hardware up and it looks like something I might do. I suppose some kind of jig for drilling the screw holes to attach them in order to make the placement very precise would be the way to go there. Is that what you did?

I have my doubts about using caulk anyway. I have seen the tape & paint method (tape as in masking or self adhesive something-or-other tape) work very well.

"Superply?" Sounds...super! I'll see if my supplier has that. If it's something that cabinet makers might use then they probably do.

Thanks all!

ff